Worldwide health insurance and services for career Maritime Crews and Employers – The GeoBlue Maritime Navigator health plan is designed to meet a crew member’s need for comprehensive worldwide benefits – inside and outside the U.S. – without the typical limits, eligibility conditions and benefits exclusions common among traditional plans.
As global lifestyles emerge, the demand for comprehensive international health insurance has grown rapidly. In response to this demand, a new generation of superior health plans is now available to serve expatriates and their families. This is a positive development for American expatriates who have historically had limited choice when it comes to coverage. Existing insurance options have often missed the mark because of limited benefits, long waiting periods, harsh exclusions, per-certification penalties, lack of portability and other hidden gotchas.
GeoBlue Navigator is the premier maritime health plan because it combines these benefits with concierge-level medical assistance and easy access to an elite community of carefully selected hospitals outside the U.S. and a network of over 700,000 doctors and hospitals inside the U.S. through the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Network. GeoBlue Navigator gives crews peace of mind, knowing they always have the freedom to access top medical care and benefits no matter where their ministries take them.
Access to an Elite International Provider Community
Geoblue has a network of doctors from almost every specialty in over 180 countries to see you. Only a small fraction of doctors around the world meet GeoBlue standards – participation is by invitation only. GeoBlue seeks out professionals certified by the American or Royal Board of Medical specialties who speak English, and they factor in recommendations by over 148 Physician Advisors from all over the world. GeoBlue then assembles in-depth profiles so members can choose with confidence and GeoBlue puts formal contracts in place to ensure patient access. GeoBlue doctors bill them directly so you don’t have to file a claim. If you receive treatment within the United States you have cashless access to the Blue Cross and Blue Shield network in all fifty states.
Personal Safety Intelligence
GeoBlue maintains unsurpassed resources designed to promote personal safety by giving members convenient access to vitally important news, health and safety analysis and medical translation tools.
- Global Health and Safety news alerts published daily and delivered by email or smart-phone
- City-level profiles for 228 cities and 130 countries
- Brand-name equivalents for 400 common over-the-counter and prescription drugs in 35 of the most frequently visited countries
- Translation of hundreds of medical terms and phrases into the 10 most widely spoken languages
- GeoBlue maintains a 24/7, toll-free call center to assist members
Emergency Evacuation and Centers of Excellence
GeoBlue coordinates emergency services with a worldwide network of contracted Physician Advisors as well as air ambulance operators selected for their safety records. Members in need of life-saving medical intervention are treated in Centers of Excellence in the U.S. and around the world, whenever possible.
- Worldwide medical coverage built for Career Martime Crew Members
- Select from a range of deductibles
- Choose providers either in or out of the GeoBlue elite network
- Unlimited annual and lifetime medical maximum
- Deductible waived for office visits with doctors
- No waiting period or sub-limit for preventive services
- No precertification penalty for inpatient or out-patient care
- Pre-existing conditions covered with credible coverage
- Illness and injuries related to terrorism are covered
- Sail boat racing and alcohol related injuries are covered
Top 10 Advantage over Competing Plans
- Policy provides an unlimited annual and lifetime maximum
- For medical care outside the U.S., members are free to see any provider and their benefits will remain the same
- Deductible is waived for outpatient office visits with contracted physicians
- The pre-existing condition exclusion can be waived with proof of prior creditable coverage
- No waiting period associated with any preventive services
- No precertification requirements
- No exclusion for terrorism
- No exclusion for specified conditions in the first 6 months
- GeoBlue providers bill GeoBlue directly, which eliminates paperwork hassles
- The strength of Blue. GeoBlue Navigator is offered in cooperation with certain local Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies
How The Plan Works
GeoBlue Navigator offers comprehensive benefits and a range of deductible options that allow members to select the right amount if insurance coverage for their budget and lifestyle. For families, the deductible and coinsurance maximum is a multiple of 2.5. After 364 days of continuous coverage, Navigator members may re-enroll in a plan that matches their existing befits. GeoBlue Navigator offers four deductible plan choices, $250, $1,000, $2,500 and $5,000.
GeoBlue Navigator has three tiers of coinsurance; 100% outside the United States, 80% in-network in the United States, 60% out-of-network inside the United States. All GeoBlue Navigator plans have an unlimited lifetime maximum and a $250,000 maximum benefit for emergency medical evacuation. The Out-of-Pocket Maximum is calculated by adding the deductible and coinsurance maximum together.
Who is eligible to buy a GeoBlue Navigator Plan?
All U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents living abroad who are 75 or younger at the time of application are eligible to apply for coverage. All legal residents of the U.S. (citizens and permanent residents) are eligible if they apply from an approved state. The Eligible Member must be scheduled to reside outside of his/her country for at least 3 months in the first year of coverage and must be involved in Missionary activity.
Why Choose GeoBlue?
Go with a name and brand you can trust. GeoBlue is the trade name for the international health insurance programs of Worldwide Insurance Services, an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. GeoBlue health plans are offered in cooperation with certain local Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies, with a network that includes more than 90 percent of physicians and 80 percent of hospitals across the U.S. GeoBlue’s comprehensive portfolio of international health insurance plans demonstrates the commitment to covering members both at home and abroad.
Strength of a U.S. Insurer – Underwritten by 4 Ever Life Insurance Company, rated A- (Excellent) by A.M. Best. 4 Ever Life is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association.
Better Coverage – Their plans are U.S. licensed and feature coverage more generous that plans sold as “surplus coverage”.
- Their plans do not restrict illnesses or injuries resulting from a terrorist act
- They do not impose precertification penalties for hospitalization.
- They provide coverage for pre-existing conditions for medical evacuation. Pre-existing conditions are also covered in all instances by GeoBlue’s Choice plan.
How To Apply for Maritime Navigator for Crews…
Applications are available online or may be initiated by telephone (619) 435-6700 or email. A personal check, money order or credit card number must accompany the application and must be sufficient to pay for one month of standard premium. GeoBlue will hold the form of payment until an underwriting decision is made. If your application iis accepted, the payment will be applied to your account. Quotes obtained online or by telephone are advisory only. Actual premium is determined by the medical underwriting process.
GeoBlue will review your medical history as provided on the application and may request an Attending Physician’s Statement. GeoBlue publishes standard premium rates for non-smokers. Smokers and other applicants with certain medical histories may be offered a policy at a higher rate. Not all applications will be accepted. Your effective date of insurance will be on the 1st or the 15th day of the month following underwriting approval.
GeoBlue Navigator is designed for extended living abroad. You can choose to enroll in a new when your existing plan expires. When you do, there are no medical questions and premium rates do not change based on your individual claims history. Your new rate will be the same as all persons covered in your rating class.
Call us with questions at (619) 435-6700. It is easy to quote and apply and the entire process is done online.